Compote is an easy way to use up extra fruit. Peel, core and slice the apples, pop over a low heat with a little water and sugar and cook until the apples are soft and pulpy. Store in containers and freeze in portions. Compote is great with roast pork and can be used in baking or as a topping for ice cream or yoghurt.
What do you do with a glut of cooking apples?
6 ways to preserve your glut of apples
- Use a fruit press. Make delicious juice using an apple press (Thinkstock/PA) …
- Cook up some chutney. Apple chutney should last for months (Thinkstock/PA) …
- Make apple butter. Apple butter is a great sweet addition to toast (Thinkstock/PA)
2 окт. 2020 г.
What can I make with lots of apples?
In any case, here are 10 things to do with all those apples you just picked!
- Applesauce. Homemade apple sauce is so much better than what you find in the jar. …
- Apple butter. Contrary to what some think, there is no butter in apple butter. …
- Poached apples. …
- Apple pie. …
- Apple muffins. …
- Apple cake. …
- Caramel apples. …
- Apple stuffing.
30 сент. 2016 г.
What can I make with 20 pounds of apples?
Baking Ideas for Apples
- Baked Apple Streusel Pancake Bars.
- The Apple Pancake.
- Apple Cranberry Galette.
- Brown Butter Apple Loaf.
- Apple Yogurt Cake with a Cinnamon-Sugar Streak.
- Sticky Spiked Double-Apple Cake with a Brown Sugar-Brandy Sauce.
- Glazed Apple Fritters.
29 окт. 2014 г.
What do you do with apples before they go bad?
Check out our latest videos
- Chop or slice and add into pancakes or muffins. …
- Core out the middles and make baked apples.
- Slice them up and indulge by making this southern fried apple recipe.
- Bake apple bread. …
- Make applesauce – because a little sugar and cinnamon can solve almost any problem.
12 окт. 2018 г.
Can you eat cooking apples raw?
A cooking apple or culinary apple is an apple that is used primarily for cooking, as opposed to a dessert apple, which is eaten raw. … Worldwide, dual-purpose varieties (for both cooking and eating raw) are more widely grown. Apples can be cooked down into sauce, apple butter, or fruit preserves.
Can I freeze cooking apples?
To freeze cooking apples (makes enough for the base of 1 crumble) Peel and core the apples then cut into slices, around half a centimetre thick. … Open freeze the slices until solid, then transfer to a food bag.
How long do apples stay fresh?
The best way to keep apples fresh and ready to eat is to store them unwashed, in whole form, and individually wrapped in the refrigerator. This can keep them fresh for up to 6–8 weeks.
Can you freeze whole apples with skin?
Can you freeze whole apples with skin? You can freeze apple slices with skin if you want, but you shouldn’t freeze the whole fruit. Sliced apples freeze and thaw more quickly, preventing them from getting brown and mushy.
What months are apples in season?
Depending on the variety, apples are available from late July through early November. Gala, Macoun and McIntosh ones are ready to go in September, so start stocking up now. Gala apples are sweet with a reddish-orange and yellow-striped skin.
How many apples is 3 lbs?
If a recipe calls for three pounds of apples, you can buy 10 apples and feel confident you’ll have all you need.
How do you prepare apples for dehydration?
Prepare the apples:
- Wash your apples under clean running water and place on a kitchen towel to air dry.
- Peel the apples, if desired. Trim off bruises and damaged areas. Cut apples crossways into 1/4-inch slices. Remove the seeds and cores. …
- Drop the apple slices into the pre-treatment liquid and soak for 10 minutes.
Can you use red apples for apple pie?
These aren’t the most exciting apples for eating, but they work just fine for pie. The flesh is crisp and juicy, with a very mild sweet flavor. They break down more quickly than other apples, so we recommend mixing them with one of the firmer apples on the list.
How do you use really old apples?
Another obvious use is to slice them and make a pie. Or blend them into smoothies. Or roughly chop mushers and fold them into oatmeal. OR finely chop mushy apples and fold them into muffin or quick bread batter.